Saturday, July 26, 2014

What I learned from having Cancer

Orange for Leukemia 
What I learned from having Cancer

When I was diagnosed
…I was forced to slow down and realize that there is perfection in every moment
…I learned that being dependent on someone, does not make me weak
…I stopped trying to save the world and became more effective by concentrating on just one challenge
…I found that chemotherapy is not as bad as everyone thinks
I had time to reflect on the past and appreciate my accomplishments
I stopped settling for second best because I realize my worth.
I turned my bedroom from a flop house to a sanctuary
I threw out rubbish and unnecessary stuff so no one had to do that when I’m gone.
…I asked my kids forgiveness for some bad decisions I made during their childhood and they laughed at my silliness.
I learned that if today is a bad one, tomorrow will be better.
I understand that I am alone on this journey and it feels OK.
I have come close to kicking the bucket a couple of times and I discovered that dying is not scary.
I stopped listening to unsolicited phone calls and found that saying NO is liberating.
I learned that…well-meaning people who never had cancer tell you that strange concoctions, howling at the moon and drinking holy cows piss from India is the cure.
…that speaking my truth allows others to speak theirs.
I understand that I don’t have to be brave and put up with pain; that pain can be managed.
I found that UK medical personnel can’t say prick, and having a needle stuck in your arm is described as a scratch, but hospitals have Spotty Dick Pudding on the menu.
I no longer care what time I sleep or when I eat … anytime is perfect.
I have learned that taking control of the little things in my life improves my chances of living fully
…that want to is more important than have to
...that having a rare cancer is far worse than having the garden variety type that everyone, including the medical profession understands 
…that there is always someone else in a leakier boat than mine
My mind is open to miraculous possibilities, my heart is open to giving and receiving love … and all is peaceful in my world.
 Copyright Dianne Lang


0 comments: