Monday, March 23, 2015

The worst things to say to someone with terminal cancer

Things you should never say to a terminal cancer patient

1.      Get better soon. (Do you think I have a cold?)

2.      You don’t look sick at all. (Can you see my blood?)

3.      I would have thought you would look worse (Any worse and I would be in the grave!)

4.      If you had enough faith, you would have been         healed a long time ago. (Fuck you)

5.      Did you smoke? (Is that the only thing that gives you cancer?)

6.      Have you been saved by Jesus?  Are you re-born? (Actually, I did it right the first time)

7.      I am also feeling sick and tired (You don't know what tired or sick means, you did not hear me)

8.      I can’t prescribe that.  It is very addictive.  (Who cares - it's all about quality now)

9.      Can we make an appointment for next week? (If I am still alive and I feel like seeing you)

10.   Be grateful for what you have (Thanks, I am already grateful to have a pulse and that I am still breathing). 

Things you could say that would be appreciated

1.      Can I do anything for you?
2.      Would you like me to make your bed?
3.      Is there anything I can get you from town?
4.      Can I make supper for you?
5.      Would you like me to do your washing and ironing?
6.      Can I bring you some books to read?
7.      Would you like me to bring you some DVD’s to watch?
8.      Can I send you some flowers (actually, don’t ask – just do it)
9.     Is there anything you still want to do that I can help you with? 
And finally the most important one - Number 10. 

The best thing you can do for someone with cancer is to LISTEN, unconditionally accepting whatever is said without offering your own opinion, unless you too have or had cancer. 

0 comments: