Thursday, April 2, 2015

Destroying monuments and celebrating Black History Month

CELEBRATION OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH 
The stupidity of attempting to destroy history and create a new one that fits the order of the day!
Morgan Freeman has a logical answer to the white interviewer.   
Black History Month, you find … ?”
“Ridiculous,” Freeman replied.
“Why?” a clearly stunned Wallace retorted.
“You’re going to relegate my history to a month?” asked Freeman. “What do you do with yours? Which month is white history month? No, come on, tell me?”
“Well, I’m Jewish,” responded Wallace. (of course Jewish is Jewish and it does not have a colour???)
Freeman continued, “Okay. Which month is Jewish history month?”
“There isn’t one,” replied Wallace.
“Oh. Oh, why not? Do you want one?” asked Morgan Freeman in response.
Wallace said “No.”
“I don’t either,” explained Freeman. “I don’t want a Black History Month. Black history is American history.”

Then, Freeman stood his ground and explained how to really stop racism in America:

Stop talking about it. I’m going to stop calling you a white man, and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man,” said Freeman. “I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman."

Why would we say, "I know this black man, Joseph..." or "I know this white man, Henry..."  or "I know this coloured man, James...".    There is no need for the pre-fix of the word "black" or "white" or "coloured" when talking about someone.  That someone is Joseph, Henry or James.  Let us leave the description of the skin colour out of the equation.   
South Africa is the only country I know, in which children still describe people according to  their colour ie. "Mommy, there's a black man at the door" or "Mama, umlungu ukhona".   It is our responsibility to teach our children to become colour blind and to stop blaming the past on their own failures. 

0 comments: