Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Issue of the Colour of My Skin

Racism – I have often heard the comment, “I am not racist.  I have lots of friends who are white/black”.   That is basically the argument used by all and sundry when the conversation turns to racism.

I would like to ask these non-racists a few questions and would like to hear their honest reply.

Have you ever slept with, loved with, cried with, laughed with, attended cultural events with, attended celebrations with, attended funerals with, hugged, cared about, worked with, given to, received from, had arguments with, agreed with, promoted or criticized, dreamed with, bathed with, been naked with, dressed with, showered with, eaten with, prepared food with, shopped with, gone hungry with, learned the language of, or loved completely and totally a person or people of a different colour skin to yours?


Because if those with the loudest defence at being accused of racism were honest, their answer to all or most of these questions would be “NO”.  

I can answer “YES” to all these questions.    Through luck, fate or destiny, Africa is the continent of my birth.  Children do not see me as being different to them for love has no colour; it is the adults who make a huge issue out of the light complexion of my skin. 

0 comments: