Saturday, September 24, 2016

My Life

Having CIVD, rare disease or cancer (incurable, chronic, debilitating downward spiral is like living inside a snakes and ladders game.  I know because I play the game.  You roll the dice and you go up some ladders.  You hit a lucky stroke and you find yourself a step or two ahead.  And when you least expect it, you land on the head of the snake and you slide down so fast your head spins. It is a series of mini avalanches.   No sooner has the person recovered from one disease when another takes its place.  It is as though the various diseases are competing to see which can do the most damage in the shortest possible time.  CVID is about slowly watching the pieces fall off, bits that stop working, energy levels deplete day by day.  The body slowly disintegrates; things that worked yesterday don’t work today.  There is little warning, diseases come in the night and are full blown by the morning.   There is a constant battle going on inside – always hovering just under the surface, even when it’s a good day.  And with velocity…rapidly one symptom looms much larger than others and now the ER, doctor, physician has something to notice.  Body temperature tells you nothing.  With no immune system, the body shows no temperature.  Temperature shows the body fighting back.  CIVD leaves a much lower than normal core body temperature.  The lower the temperature, the more ill the patient becomes.  Just one more challenge – not having a temperature does not fit into the protocol of admission to hospital so you are sent home, often feeling that the doctors think you are a shirker.
The mind can’t remember, the bowels sometimes don’t work, the bladder is a problem, lungs struggle, bones ache; nausea never stops.  Even hair falls out; it was where it should be last night but in the morning the pillow looks like a shaggy carpet.  Skin lesions appear without a bump, blood vessels burst for no reason, skin itches like a million ants crawling beneath it. 

I marvel at the capacity of the human body to take this relentless and remorseless onslaught.  Survival is a mystery.  And why I would want to continue to live is bewildering – because under all of this there is still that will and that hope that tomorrow will be better.  Is the need to live an instinct or is there a soul that refuses to surrender?   I am bewildered by the enormity of the question of the soul.  I cannot comprehend that I am just a material thing and that I will not have consciousness after death.  Is my thought that I have an eternal soul merely my way of lowering the internal distress I feel when I think of death as being the end to my consciousness?    At what point do I say enough is enough – at what point do I surrender because life no longer has meaning living as I am now – why do I constantly hope that I will be helped, that I will get better, that my circumstances will improve.  When will I accept these circumstances so that my fate is more acceptable to me?  What kind of life is it to trudge through from one infection to another, some more severe than others?  What life is it that if you do even the smallest thing outside of your bed, you will repay in suffering every ounce of energy it allows you on a tolerably well day.     

0 comments: